To be eligible to enter, participants must be in Grades 9-12 and live or go to school in Richmond Hill.
The immediate family members of Arts Contest judges, the Library Board, or Richmond Hill Public Library employees are not eligible.
Failure to follow the contest and submission guidelines or to provide complete, legible, and accurate information on the Entry Form will disqualify the submission.
Each entrant may submit a maximum of one entry per category.
All submissions in every category of the competition must be the original work of the submitting artist or writer.
Extended Deadline: Submissions will now be accepted until 8:00 p.m. on Thursday, February 15, 2018. Late entries will not be accepted.
Fill out the entry form electronically (typed out) and email it to email@example.com
Print out the completed and typed entry form and sign the acknowledgment section.
Place components and printed form in an envelope with your name, grade, and "Short Story or Poetry" on the front of the envelope or attach form to back of artwork or photograph.
Hand-deliver submissions and printed entry forms to the Information Services Desk on the third floor of the Central Library. Contest submissions will be accepted until 8:00 p.m., Thursday, February 15, 2018.
Short Story Guidelines
- Stories must be no longer than 1,500 words, printed double-spaced, on single-sided sheets, with pages numbered.
- Two (2) copies of each story must be submitted with a separate cover sheet with the writer's name, the title of the work, and the word count.
- Poems must be no longer than 60 lines.
- Two (2) copies of each poem must be submitted with a separate cover sheet including the writer's name and the title of the work.
Visual Arts Guidelines
- Artwork must be no larger than 24 x 30 inches in any medium (e.g. graphite, watercolour, ink, acrylic, oil, pastel, charcoal or digital). Physical submissions are required.
- Artwork must include a documentation sheet, including the title of the work, a description of the materials used, and a brief description regarding the inspiration or meaning of the piece.
- Physical submissions are required and must be at least 8 x 10 inches in size. Photographs may be in colour or black and white.
- Photographs must include a documentation sheet, including the title of the work and a brief description regarding the inspiration or meaning of the piece.