December 8, 2014
On December 8, 2014 the architectural team of Perkins + Will conducted a public visioning session of the Oak Ridges Library to define the main priorities of the community regarding a new library.
The public's vision was clear:
- Create more than a traditional library
- Provide inviting and demographically specific work spaces within the library
- The library should be a civic landmark that reflects the unique natural environment and cultivates the local history of the area
- Feature natural materials
- Provide access to the latest methods of digital experimentation and equipment to promote technological creativity
- Create a showcase and incubator of ideas
December 10, 2013
Key design elements as established from the community session were:
- Flexible, separate and shared spaces to meet the changing needs of different user groups.
- Incorporate new technologies - update the technology available in the library.
- Expand services and collections - extend open hours, provide self-serve services, expand the multilingual, ESL collections
- Design attributes should include the natural and cultural heritage of the area, sustainable features, natural lighting, and outdoor spaces.